Thursday, April 14, 2011

I like your old stuff better than your new stuff*

Things are feeling a little strange at the moment, there are things going on at work that are puzzling to me, and I have somehow unknowingly been caught up in the flurry and it doesn't feel like it is going to end well.

sourced at google images

I am really trying to surrender to the moment as suggested by Christine Arylo. I think I have done pretty well the last few days, but sometimes it just all gets too much and I think, I wish things could go back to the way they were before!

The reality is that when I think it, I know it isn't really true. The last 12 months have been huge for me, with heaps of good things happening in my recovery from illness, in my ability to get back into life, in the deepening of my love for my wonderful partner as we have struggled through the tough times together.

Do you think people can outgrow jobs?

I know what I like about work and the things I need for a place to be a good fit for me:
  • I love the feeling of community - with either staff, students/clients/patients/families
  • I love being encouraged to be innovative
  • I love a certain amount of autonomy
  • I love to know that what I am doing is making an impact on those with whom I am working
  • I love being a music therapist and working with music as my primary operating medium
  • I love to feel well supported in my role
among other things, these are what keep me motivated about work and loving my job.


I find it particularly hard when bureaucracy gets in the way of doing my job. I know that places need systems in place to get things done efficiently but I hate when this gets in the way of actually doing good work.

So I am looking forward to tomorrow, and the joys this weekend will bring.

everyday i talk to my machines
more sense than talking to human beings
it's pretty in the land of the free
where things ain't quite what they seem
 
*I like your old stuff better than your new stuff - Regurgitator
Suggested by Tinniegirl

2 comments:

  1. Dr. Doc, I think it is perfectly possible to 'grow out of a job' - because it has happened to me a couple of times now. In this of therapeutic work, I find myself changing as much as if not more than some of my clients. I can sometimes feel greatly frustrated when there seems to be no response from folks. I have to continually find new ways to re-fill the internal reservoirs of patience, creativity and empathy. It can be very tiring for me.

    I think your list of things that you love about what you do is very instructional, and a great way to help re-dress the imbalance.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree that it's possible to grow out of a job and I think it would be strange if you didn't since we are always learning and growing. It's also possible to find ways of adding to the job you now have to keep from growing OUT of the job, but I can say from personal experience that it may be inevitable to leave the job you have to find a new place to be challenged and to grow.

    I also hear you on your views of bureaucracy getting in the way of doing the good work, especially when working in the healing/service provider fields. Keep focusing on the positive aspects of the work Dr. Doc, but don't neglect to see if it might be time to exercise your amazing skills elsewhere, before burn-out takes place =-)

    ReplyDelete