Thursday, April 7, 2011

Bicycle Race*

The main problem I have with the end of daylight saving is that the nights get dark so quickly. Don't get me wrong, I much prefer to wake up to light in the morning, it was definitely a struggle getting out of bed the last few weeks before the change, when it was so dark at 6.30am and still lightening up when I left home at 7.30.

However, I have just begun to ride to work one day a week and the early darkness is a new thing for me. I have to get used to using my lights, and remember to turn them off!


I love riding. I have been riding most of my life, and have usually owned a bike, but I hadn't ridden for about ten years before I really fell in love with riding last year.

It happened when I decided to use it as part of my rehab.


I bought a new bike because my old one was not really up to the task, and off I went. It gave me such a sense of freedom after going everywhere by car for years. The riding had a lot of significance attached to it - not only in my health journey:
  • Riding means that I have recovered my fitness to the point where I can not easily get my heart rate up sufficiently by simply walking - a big step.
  • Riding provided another avenue for transport other than the car - which fits really well with my environmental bent.
  • Riding provides me with an experience of freedom I have not had in years.
  • Riding makes it possible to get out of the house when I have no car.
As much as I love riding I do have to remember not to overdo it. So at the moment, I do this by limiting my rides to work to once a week. This is a small consideration for so much joy. I am so happy to have rediscovered my bike. I cannot wait till I recover sufficiently to increase my use of it as a commuter device. Bring it on!


Bicycle bicycle bicycle
I want to ride my bicycle bicycle bicycle
I want to ride my bicycle
I want to ride my bike
I want to ride my bicycle
I want to ride it where I like
*Bicycle Race - Queen

2 comments:

  1. I can't wait to ride a bike again one day. I often wake up and remember a dream from the night before where I've been bike riding. I think it's a sign!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm very sad that I don't know how to ride a bicycle, but I often dream (@CurlyPops) I'm riding a bike. Odd how life works.

    ReplyDelete