Monday, January 31, 2011

The Book of Love* - Part I

This year I am joining in with somewhere along a winding path to count the number of books I read in a year. I am very excited because I have never counted before, but often wondered. I estimate that last year, I would have read at least 50 books.

My plan is that at the end of every month, I will tell you how many books I have read, as well as maybe a little bit about them. The kinds of books I enjoy reading are crime novels, true crime, biography, autobiography, fiction, non-fiction, really most things. I have an eclectic taste in books - as well as in music - just by the way!

I have raced out of the blocks this month, with 5 books under my belt. Of course I do not believe this pace will be consistent during the year, and I did have a few weeks off at the beginning of the year in which I indulged my passion for reading.

All of the books I have read this year so far, have been borrowed. Some from my mother in law and some from my brother. Recycling books is one of my favourite things to do. At my work we have set up a book swap shelf in our office. Here we bring in books we have read and share them around. This has fueled a lot of my reading last year, and is heaps cheaper than buying new books all the time. It is also more time efficient than going to the library. Why don't you try it?

Here we go...

1. Vanishing Acts - Jodi Picoult
 sourced at google images

2. Plain Truth - Jodi Picoult
 sourced at google images

Jodi Picoult is a great holiday read, easy, with not too much brain involvement and quite formula, I find. Regardless of this, I find the stories can be compelling at times if I don't think too much.

3. Blindsighted - Karin Slaughter

 sourced at google images

4. White Crosses - Larry Watson
 sourced at google images

5. On Green Dolphin Street - Sebastian Faulks

 sourced at google images

I love mystery novels, and Karin Slaughter is not bad. Some of her stuff can be quite graphic, but I enjoyed the twists and turns in this one.

I'm now off to pick what's next as I finished On Green Dolphin Street yesterday, and have not yet chosen what's next. Read on, I say.

The book of love is long and boring
No one can lift the damn thing
It's full of charts and facts and figures and instructions for dancing
*The Book of Love - Peter Gabriel

No comments:

Post a Comment